I have discovered, without a doubt, a number of people who have discouraged me from this diet. Two days ago I actually had someone get mad at me. I had someone else tell me that this diet is the reason for my pain; it was the same day that I was dealing with pain from some unknown source, but I'm pretty sure it was either unripe avocado or fennel, neither of which is actually off of the diet. (Or it could have potentially been the cabbage--which is a gas producer--but I've had that other days without incident.) He said that I am in pain because my body isn't getting everything it needs. And today, when I ate lunch with both of them at a restaurant, they got on my case about not just ordering something that sounds good from the menu which, for me, the incredible part of all of this is that the woman is really big into natural medicine and healing; however, she went as far as tossing some of the rice from her dish--God and the cook only know what was on that stuff--into my squash and carrot soup. (God and the cook only know what was in that as well, but I talked to the cook while the woman and her son were talking to the doctor; so I was relatively sure it would be okay. I just told them to hold the bread because I didn't want it.) I think she thought I was too skinny. Guess what, lady...months of healthy eating with proper portion sizes got me to be thin; months of gut pain and diarrhea made me skinny. I still have my grotesque flaps of skin; I can't believe I was ever fat enough to have those. I mean, those things show up on The Biggest Loser, not on someone who has not lost a single pound through proper diet and exercise. Now, I try to take this all in stride because someday I want to have children, and I know that pregnancy will probably need that extra space, but it still makes me grimace at myself when I sit down.
The diet I am on will not kill me. It's only 25 days long. That's less time than Ramadan, and I eat throughout the day. Heck, this is better than that time that I decided to fast through Lent. If anything, this diet is making me stronger. It is showing me that I can survive this, that I don't have to give into temptation, that God is with me even in my food choices. It is also showing me who is a good friend (supportive) and who isn't (raising my stress levels and/or controlling). I have, at the very least, one doctor and one nurse (Hi, ladies!) aware that I am doing this diet. Neither one has voiced a complaint.
Back onto normal topics, I never did make a formal rice cracker recipe. It is rice flour, water, salt, olive oil, and oregano. However, I often swap out the oregano for any number of other flavors.
And in further normal topics, amaranth is really delicious. The bag of it that I bought is popped, and except for the size, I wouldn't know that it wasn't popcorn. Just...don't eat it by your keyboard. (Oops.) I've spent the evening looking for recipes I can try with it, but that's if the bag survives much longer. (Yum!)
I've been bad about updating my written journal (and this blog) recently. It seems pointless to write "I ate rice today" a thousand times. Although, considering I had pain twice, I probably should be keeping a better eye on things. I can tell you that I wasn't eating anything which wasn't on my diet. (If I had been cheating, I'd expect painful results.) Anyway, I have at least written the days and dates on my journal bringing it to the third day after these 25. I've decided that my first food will be eggs. They're fairly essential to the diet here, and I already have them in the house. After that, I would like to add tomato, but that depends on if I have it in the house that day or not. And, in reality, having stuff in the house depends on if I'm still watching the boys or not. If I'm not, I have some freedom to go to the market. If I am, either flour or soy will re-enter the diet depending on which seems to be an easier addition.
No comments:
Post a Comment