Monday, September 16, 2013

Introduction

Hi!  My name is Annalisa, and I've been a missionary in Guatemala for 3 years now.  About 6 months ago, a few health issues were brought to my attention.  My doctor cut a few things out of my diet (many of which I wasn't eating anyway).  Then, about a month ago, a doctor-friend of my doctor was present during a consultation and proceeded to give me a big long list of things I shouldn't eat.  I ended up at home in tears because I didn't know what I could eat.  I posted my frustration on Facebook, and that's when my friend Lyndsey stepped in.

Lyndsey is a nurse and one of the few people from high school who I even have as a Facebook friend.  She also has dealt with health issues of her own.  So, with all of those credentials, I took her up on the idea of an elimination diet.  At least it gave me a clear list of what I can eat, not just an overbearing list of what I can't.  This is the link she shared with me: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/elimination-diet.  Once I mixed that with all the other things I can't eat and what isn't available here, this is the list I was left with:

  • Rice
  • Cucumber
  • Lettuce
  • Celery
  • Carrot
  • Beet
  • Onion
  • Cabbage
  • Bell Pepper
  • Green Beans
  • Fish
  • Water
  • Herbal Tea
  • Garlic
  • Cumin
  • Dill
  • Ginger
  • Oregano
  • Parsley
  • Cilantro
  • Rosemary
  • Thyme
  • Stevia  (This last one is only available to me because I volunteer at a farm about once a week; so they gifted me a stevia plant.)


I invite you to join me on this journey of elimination and discovery.

2 comments:

  1. I had never heard of stevia before this "adventure" I'm on too :). Who know about plant based sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, most sugar comes from plants. "Normal sugar" comes from sugar cane and corn syrup comes from corn. We have sugar cane fields here to the south-west. People drink sugar cane juice--never tried it myself--or just chew on the raw cane. However, both of those kinds of sugar are processed. While stevia can be processed to make a fine white powder, you can also get the normal sweetness out of the fresh leaves! If I remember correctly, I used it to make lemonade. (Lemons aren't on this list, but I added them in fairly early while I was still on elimination mode. That comes up a few posts later. ;) )

      Delete