Okay, so I suppose this could really be "corn in waiting: day 1," but there are a few details about me and about Guatemala that you should know (in that order). First, I can not eat plain corn here. Corn on the cob (or even off the cob) gives me the most incredible intestinal pain. I can not eat kernels. (Actually, I recall having trouble spelling "kernels" before; maybe I already told you that part.) However, tortillas, tamales, chuchitos...all of those are made with the same corn...except that it is mixed with limestone and ground up. So, today I'm actually putting two thing into my diet, the corn and the limestone. I suppose you could hem and haw about this, but the fact of the matter is is that most people who make any of the above mentioned foods typically mix the two. And, yes, if I made them myself, I wouldn't have to put in the limestone, but the fact of the matter is that I don't make any of the above mentioned foods. So, unless I assume that I'm eating them together, I'm not going to eat either one; so it really doesn't matter if I'm allergic to one but not the other. If one goes, they both go.
Let's see. I added chicken on Friday and had no issues. (And the boyfriend was very happy with his dinner.) And I sort of added soy on Tuesday, but it was more like "Oops, I forgot to buy chicken. What do I have around the house since it's, oh, 6 pm and getting dark out?" I really didn't try it enough to feel that I got a clear reaction or not. I wasn't feeling so hot later that week, but it could have also been due to the obsession with the new blender and how sweet banana can make things without adding any sugar. Lindsey thinks I ate too many bananas; I'm blaming the soy. Regardless, I think that soy should be tested again...and I think bananas are delicious. (Also, not that I want to brag too much, but I can get a dozen bananas for Q5. That's about 62 cents US.)
Thursday is tomato day. Sunday is the long awaited gluten day. And I really hope that that works out for me because every attempt that I have made to make gluten-free bread or cookies or anything has been a huge failure. And I don't mind cutting down. I used to buy lots of bread from the bakery and eat it all at once...not because I was addicted but because it was cheap, easy, and required no cooking. I HATE cooking for one; it seems so pointless to me. Now that I have my blender, I can split my non-cooking fits between banana smoothies and bread. Like, right now, for instance. It's 5:30 pm. I had brunch around 10 am of leftover chicken soup from last night...and a banana. I haven't eaten since then and am having some stomach pains. Not sure if I'm hungry or my body is mad about the corn. If it were any other day, I'd go buy Q5 of bread right now and just munch. I am completely uninspired to cook and not completely sure what is even in the house...besides bananas...and those are upstairs.
No comments:
Post a Comment