Thursday, March 23, 2017

The lost art of the lifted pinky

I'm sure many of you, like me, have seen the movies about people (specifically rich people) in Britain who raise their pinky when they drink tea.
Maybe you've seen it elsewhere on TV or in the movies.


Maybe you've even seen it in real life.



Lots of people do it, and there are many theories of where it started and why people still do it.  Did you know that some people even do it while eating with their hands?

Woman eating a burger with her left pinky raised.

And I actually do this myself.  I don't know if it was something learned or something biological, but I have noticed that it is particularly useful.  As someone who eats alone most of the time, I can often be found on my computer while I eat.  Meal time was always family time when I was growing up; so eating without socializing just seems strange.  But if I eat using all 10 fingers, how am I able to use the touch screen on my computer and type messages and whatnot?  

Enter the lost art of the raised pinky.  It leaves me a clean finger or two to hit the screen and the keys as necessary.  So, don't knock the raised pinky just because of its hoity-toity past; embrace its use in the technological age.


No comments:

Post a Comment